Documents: 63, displayed: 1 - 20

Sub-project: Treasures from small collections

January 2013

Status: In progress

Financed by: swissuniversities

Description: The majority of Swiss manuscripts is held in larger collections, mostly in public and ecclesiastical institutions. It is easy to forget that some of the most important sources shaping the identity of Switzerland are found in collections that hold only a few manuscripts. e-codices has taken it upon itself to provide digital access to these important treasures from small collections, the originals of which are often not available to the general public.

All Libraries and Collections

Preview Page
Basel, Pharmazie-Historisches Museum der Universität Basel, Cod. H25
Paper · 86 [+ 6] pp. · 15 x 19 cm · 1726
Schoop Johann, "Recept-Büchlein, Allerhand kostbar Wasser zuo distilliern" (Recipe-Booklet, All kinds of precious water to distill)

This booklet contains a collection of recipes for producing medications, home remedies and foodstuffs. The presentation of the recipes ranges from lists of ingredients to detailed texts that describe the processing of the ingredients. The manuscript does not have an index. A page from a manuscript - probably 14th century - serves as book cover. Its visible text is about the geometry of triangles (De triangulo). In the first half of the 20th century, the book was purchased at the bookstore Helbing & Lichtenhahn by Theo Baeschlin and then donated to the Pharmaceutical Institute of Basel. (wan)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Basel, Pharmazie-Historisches Museum der Universität Basel, Cod. H37
Paper · 120 ff. · 16 x 23 cm · 1582
Johannes Drexell, Collection of medical treatises

This collection is contained in a paper manuscript that originated in Switzerland. Later it received a binding of wooden boards covered in blind-tooled pigskin leather. The collection contains treatises and recipes based on the Practica of Meister Bartholomäus. The herbalism follows the tradition of Macer. The collection also contains rules for bloodletting, a treatise on the plague, menstruation and the like. In addition, various diseases are covered, such as those of the head, of the ears and the like. In general, the text collects treatises on the nature of women, on the four elements and the natures, and it gives veterinary advice based, among others, on Meister Albrecht’s pharmacopeia for horses. It also contains various blessings (blessings against arrows, blood loss and worms). Incantations as well as formulas for women in labor and more. (wan)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Basel, Pharmazie-Historisches Museum der Universität Basel, Cod. H45
Paper · 140 [+ 3] ff. · 14 x 21 cm · 1449
Ars hermetis

This manuscript was written or compiled by Johannes of Fulda in 1440. In 1953 it was donated to the museum by Dr. S. Merian. It had been the property of Jakob Burckhardt. The text is about medical alchemy. (wan)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Basel, Pharmazie-Historisches Museum der Universität Basel, Cod. H52
Paper · 196 ff. · 11 x 16 cm · 1651
Ross: und für Andere Sachen Artzney Büchli (Ross: and for other things Artzney Büchli)

In his medical compilation for animals, Carolus von Wattenwyl collects recipes of medications for equine diseases (Ross). These range from lack of appetite to an imbalance in the amount of bile. Ff. 95r-99v are written in a different French hand. This excursus explains how to remove various kinds of grease stains from horse riding clothes (title: "pour oster toutes sortes de tasches de graisse des habits"). In the course of the book, the handwriting changes two more times. (wan)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Bulle, Musée gruérien, 382
Parchment · 56 ff. · 20 x 14 cm · first half of the 13th century
Collectarium cartusianum

Composite manuscript of liturgical texts, containing the prayers of the breviary of the Carthusian Order (1r Capitula, 18r Temporale, 35v Sanctorale, 49v Commune Sanctorum und 51v Usus communis). This small prayer book was probably produced in a Carthusian monastery in Burgundy in the 13th century. Certainly it was used from the 13th to about the 15th century in one of the Carthusian monasteries in present-day Western Switzerland, such as La Valsainte, La Part-Dieu or La Lance. The text is written on parchment and is decorated with blue and red paragraph initials. There are notes and drawings in the margins. (def)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Bulle, Musée gruérien, 383
Parchment · 17 ff. · 18.3 x 13.5 cm · Italy (Verona) · 15th century
Ordo professionis et consecrationis sanctimonialium (Verona, Monastery of San Michele di Campagna OSB, 15th century)

This small liturgical book was used in the Monastery of San Michele di Campagna near Verona during the 15th century. The work contains the rite of the profession of faith and of the consecration practiced on the occasion of the investiture of a Benedictine nun. It is valuable evidence of a ritual for women who take their vows. (def)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Bulle, Musée gruérien, 384
Parchment · [1] + 62 + [1] ff. · 19.2 x 13.5 cm · 13th century
Tancredus Bononiensis, Ordo iudiciarius

The Ordo iudiciarius is a work of canon law written at the beginning of the 13th century by Tancred of Bologna (ca. 1185-ca. 1236): f. 60r Explicit ordo iudiciaris magistri Tancreti. Tancred was archdeacon and professor at the University of Bologna. (def)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Bulle, Musée gruérien, 386
Paper · [15] + 238 + [27] pp. · 14 x 19 cm · 4.10.1675-10.11.1688
Rentier domestique de moy Joannes Castella bourgeois de Frybourg et Chastellain de la Ville de Gruyère

The first 14 pages of this urbarium consist of various notes regarding oaths and contracts. Page 15 constitutes the frontispiece of the register as such: ‟Ici commence mon rentier domestique, cet assavoir de moÿ Joannes Castella, bourgeois de Frÿbourg et chastellain de la ville de Gruÿere, le 3me janvier 1681”. This booklet lists all of Jean Castella’s expenditures (ordinary expenses such as saddle girths, wages paid to a midwife, purchase of wood, etc., as well as less ordinary expenses) along with receipts and, in particular, details regarding his income from lands. The author also notes down judgments in which he participated as a jury member or as guarantor for the authorities. In addition he mentions gifts that he received or gave. The register lists costs of and earnings from his official function as well as expenditures and income from his private activities. This is nothing less than a historical summary of the everyday life of a notable Gruyère citizen from the late 17th century. (def)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Bulle, Musée gruérien, sans cote
Paper · 186 ff. · 31 x 21 cm · 1565-1566
Property inventory from the Broc Priory

Inventory of property, prepared by the notary Michel d'Enney on behalf of Peter of Gruyère, Prior of Broc, and written between November 17, 1565 and November 20, 1566. The register consists of records of the properties of Broc Priory, organized by location. Originally Broc Priory was a dependency of the one at Lutry; in 1577 it was annexed to the Cathedral Chapter of St. Nicholas in Fribourg. (def)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Castro, Archivio parrocchiale, s. n.
Parchment · 22 ff. · 27.7 x 22 cm · Castro · 1554
"Martirologio-inventario" of the Church of S. Giorgio in Castro, 1554

This martirologio-inventario (annal) was written in 1554 at the request of the vicini (the original members of the municipal corporate body) of Castro and Marolta in the Blenio Valley (Ticino) in order to replace an older one that was destroyed in a fire. It contains the list of obligations toward the parish and toward the community for bequests and anniversaries of deaths. The first page is decorated with an illuminated initial and has in its bottom margin a painting of the coat of arms of the canton of Uri. At the time, the Blenio Valley was governed ruled by the cantons of Uri, Schwyz and Nidwalden. (ber)

Online Since: 06/25/2015

Preview Page
Chironico, Archivio parrocchiale, n. 66
Parchment · I + 63 ff. · 33-34 x 24 cm · Chironico · around the middle of the 16th century
"Martirologio-calendario" (obituary) of the Parish of S. Ambrogio of Chironico

Obituary of the Parish of S. Ambrogio of Chironico (Ticino), written by the priest Ambrogio Rossi of Chironico, who copied an older obituary that was probably damaged or had no more space. The Ambrosian type calendar lists the stipends for annual masses or for anniversaries, the solemnities, the indulgences and notes regarding the pledges to the parish and to the entire valley. On December 28, the Feast of the Holy Innocents, the commemoration of the Battle of Giornico (Battaglia dei Sassi Grossi, 1479) is recorded. (ber)

Online Since: 06/23/2016

Preview Page
Claro, Archivio parrocchiale, s. n.
Parchment · 28 ff. · 31 x 23.3 cm · Claro · second half of the 15th century
“Martirologio-calendario” of the Parish of Claro

This martirologio-calendario (obituary) of the Parish of Claro has no cover, and its initial pages are quite badly damaged. Each page is laid out to contain five to seven days of the week; names of the deceased whose death anniversaries were to be celebrated are listed in spaces especially intended for this purpose. It is almost certain that this annal replaces an older register. Individual entries were updated later and, as can be deduced from notes in the margins, were transferred to a new book. As a rule, the entries are not dated, but mention of several testaments and local customs allows for placing it in the period after the middle of the 15th century. (ber)

Online Since: 06/25/2015

Preview Page
Dalpe, Archivio parrocchiale, n. 1
Parchment · 6 ff. · 21/21.7 x 15 cm · Italy · 14th century
Passio s. Placidi

This parchment booklet from the parish archives of Dalpe (Leventina) contains the story of the suffering of St. Placidus of Disentis. Although the text is not complete, it contains a passage about the saint’s martyrdom, which is not included in the text’s principal manuscript held at the Zentralbibliothek of Zurich (Ms. Rh. 5). The community of Dalpe probably obtained this Passio so they could celebrate a yearly mass in honor of the saint in the new village chapel. The chapel had originally been dedicated to the Mary, but, as attested by documented sources, the patronage changed between 1370 and 1426, and the chapel was dedicated to St. Placidus. (ber)

Online Since: 09/23/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume I
Parchment · 373 ff. · 57.5-58 x 39-39.5 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1489/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars hiemalis (vol. I)

This volume is part of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent in the city of Bern shortly after the college’s founding in the years 1484/85. The manuscript contains the entire winter portion of the Temporale, of the Sanctorale and of the Commune Sanctorum according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. The book decoration with miniatures for numerous initials is attributed to the Master of the breviary of Jost von Silenen, an itinerant artist who was active in Fribourg, Bern, Sion and later in Ivrea and Aosta. He got his name from a breviary in two volumes that was created around 1493 for the Bishop of Sion, Jost of Silenen (1482-1496). After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of antiphonaries was sold in 1530: four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two — among them a duplicate of this manuscript — reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained. They are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume II
Parchment · 315 ff. · 58.5 x 41-41.5 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1489/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Sanctis (vol. II)

This volume is part of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the Proprium de sanctis and the Commune Sanctorum of the summer portion (March 25 to November 25) according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. The book decoration generally matches that of the first volume and can be attributed to a different anonymous illuminator of lesser quality. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530: four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two — among them a duplicate of this volume — reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained. They are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume III
Parchment · 120 ff. · 59 x 39.5-40 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1489/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Tempore (vol. III)

This is the third and last volume of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the summer portion of the De Tempore according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. Its duplicate is contained in volume IV. The book decoration consists of five illuminated initials, fleuronée initials and cadels, by the same artist who also decorated volume I. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530. Four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained; they are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume IV
Parchment · 116 ff. · 58.5-59 x 41 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1489/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Tempore (vol. IV)

This volume is part of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the summer portion of the De Tempore according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. Its duplicate is contained in volume III. The book decoration is by an anonymous artist; it consists of cadels, fleuronée initials and an illuminated initial with a border on f. 1r. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530. Four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained; they are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Flawil, Gemeinde Flawil, Burgauer Offnung
Parchment · 37 ff. · 21 x 27 cm · Burgau · 10 August 1469
The Burgau ‘Offnung’ of 1469

The Burgau Offnung of 1469 is a medieval law book. It governs the relations of associates in the law courts, at the princely court, and in communal landholdings within a court district (here the lower court of Burgau near Flawil) with the lord of that court, the "Vogt" (reeve). At the time this was Rudolf IX Giel of Glattburg, a ministry official of the abbot of St. Gall Abbey. Originally the Burgau Offnung was part of a single volume together with those of Flawil, Gebhartschwil, Uffhoven and Rudlen. The Flawil Offnung (up to page 17) was removed and bound separately. Preceding the text of the Burgau Offnung on pp. 18-28 were those of the Offnung of gebhartschwil, uffhoven und rudeln. The book was entrusted to the respective “Ammann” (head of the district council) of Burgau of the time. After 1798, following the dissolution of the lower court, the book transferred to the village corporation of Burgau. After consolidation of Burgau with Flawil, the book came into the custody of the municipality of Flawil. (sce)

Online Since: 06/23/2014

Preview Page
Flawil, Gemeinde Flawil, Flawiler Offnung
Parchment · 21 ff. · 20.5 x 29.5 cm · Burgau · 1471/1472
The Flawil ‘Offnung’

The Flawil Offnung of 1471, sealed on 21 January 1472, is a medieval law book. It governs the relations of associates in the law courts, at the princely court, and in communal landholdings within a court district (here the lower court of Flawil) with the lord of that court, the "Vogt" (reeve). At the time this was Rudolf IX Giel of Glattburg, a ministry official of the abbot of St. Gall Abbey. This document provides an insight into the legal and economic situation towards the end of the 15th century. Originally the Flawil Offnung was part of a single volume together with those of Gebhartschwil, Uffhoven and Rudlen (Aufhofen and Rudeln) as well as Burgau. Later the Flawil Offnung (up to page 17) was removed. Due to the dissolution of the lower court, after 1798 the Flawil Offnung was transferred to the citizens’ corporation or today’s municipality of Flawil. (sce)

Online Since: 06/23/2014

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Katholisches Pfarrarchiv Frauenfeld, KPfAF III Bg 3
Parchment · 3 ff. · 170 x 114 cm · around 1250
Frauenfeld fragments from Konrad Fleck’s "Flore und Blanscheflur"

Around 1220 Konrad Fleck translated the romantic novel "Flore et Blancheflor", written in 1160 by an unknown Provençal poet, into High Alemannic. The complete work consists of about 8,000 verses. Several fragments of an early copy of Fleck’s translation have survived in the parish archives of Frauenfeld. The parchment pieces had been used as a cover for a tribute register from the prebend of St. Michael. (hux)

Online Since: 06/23/2016

Documents: 63, displayed: 1 - 20