Documents: 98, displayed: 41 - 60

Sub-project: Treasures from small collections

January 2013

Status: In progress

Financed by: swissuniversities

Description: The majority of Swiss manuscripts is held in larger collections, mostly in public and ecclesiastical institutions. It is easy to forget that some of the most important sources shaping the identity of Switzerland are found in collections that hold only a few manuscripts. e-codices has taken it upon itself to provide digital access to these important treasures from small collections, the originals of which are often not available to the general public.

All Libraries and Collections

Preview Page
Mariastein, Benediktinerkloster, ehem. zbs S I 177
Paper · 243 + III ff. · 29.5 x 21.2 cm · 15th century. (I: after midcentury; II: 1465/66)
Florilegium Sacrum et Profanum

This composite manuscript from the middle of the 15th century is from the Augustinian hermitage in Basel. Since 1470, several brothers there cared for the pilgrimage site Mariastein. This volume was probably left there and was found by the monks from Beinwil, when they took over the pilgrimage site in 1636. It contains, among others, sacred (S. Bonaventura), profane (Cicero, Sallust), historical (Piccolomini/Pius II.) and rhetorical (Laurentius de Aquileja) texts. The second part of the volume, containing the Rhetorica , was written in 1465/66 by the Augustinian Matthias Glaser from Breisach in Basel. A fragment glued to the interior of the front cover gives information regarding the content of the volume. (sck)

Online Since: 09/26/2017

Preview Page
Montreux, Bibliotheca Sefarad, Ms. J 4
Parchment · 1 f. · 31 x 58 cm · Zaragoza · 1478
Privilege (copy)

Copy of the privilege that changed certain taxes, which were to be paid by the Jewish community of Tudela, and that increased the incomes bestowed upon various knights and royal officials, among them Juan Sanz de Berrozpe. Written by King Juan II in Zaragoza and dated the 17th of December 1475. This copy was written on February 23rd 1478 by the Prothonotary Juan Ortiz, confirmed by Princess Donna Leonor and validated by the Court Notary Juan de Ara. (lop)

Online Since: 12/17/2015

Preview Page
Montreux, Bibliotheca Sefarad, Ms. J 11
Parchment and paper · 212 ff. · 29 x 22 cm · Spain · second half of the 15th century
Alonso de Oropesa, 'Lumen ad revelationem gentium et gloriam plebis Dei Israel' - De unitate fidei et de concordi et pacifica equalitate fidelium

This work by brother Alonso de Oropesa OSH († 1469) must be considered in the context of the attacks on converted Jews in Spain (and above all in Toledo), the so-called conversos. As a general of the Order of the Hieronymites (since 1457), but also as a close confidant and adviser of King Henry IV of Castile (1454-1474), Alonso advocated a tolerant attitude towards converted Jews. In 1450, he began writing the 'Lumen ad revelationem gentium et gloria plebis Dei Israel' - De unitate fidei et de concordia et pacifica equalitate fidelium (f. 1-203, Tabula 204-207); in 1465, he dedicated the completed book of 52 chapters to the Archbishop Alfonso Carrillo of Toledo (1410-1485). The announced second part of the work apparently was never written.In 1979, Luis A. Diaz y Diaz prepared a Spanish translation based on the three manuscripts then known. The present manuscript has not yet been acknowledged in research; it thus constitutes the fourth manuscript known so far. It was certainly written still in the 15th century and is made up of parchment and paper leaves. Despite its significance, no Latin text edition of the work has yet been prepared. (flu)

Online Since: 12/17/2015

Preview Page
Müstair, Benediktinerinnenkloster St. Johann, XX/48 Nr. 9
Parchment · 2 ff. · 29-30 x 20-21 cm · around 800
Gregory the Great’s homilies

Fragment of a copy of Gregory the Great’s Homilies on the Gospels, created around 800. Two excerpts remain: the first section of text, consisting of parts of chapter 17 (17.16-17.18), is a commentary on Luke 10, 1-9, i.e. the verses concerning the sending out of the seventy-two disciples. The second section of text, containing parts of chapter 18 (18.2-18.3), refers to John 8.46-59. These verses are a commentary on a dispute between Jesus and “the” Jews as well as the high priests; it concerns the identity of Jesus or rather his claim of identity, his message and the rejection thereof. (ack)

Online Since: 09/26/2017

Preview Page
Porrentruy, Archives cantonales jurassiennes, 187 J 35e
Parchment · 189 ff. · 24.5 x 17 cm · diocese of Besançon · 1st half of the 14th century
Besançon Breviary

This breviary, which contains only the winter part, is dated to the first half of the 14th century. It is from the diocese of Besançon (with which Porrentruy was also affiliated), as indicated by certain saints that appear in the litanies, such as St. Ferreolus or St. Germanus, the responsories for the Sundays of Advent, as well as the Holy Triduum. (gle)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Quinto, Archivio parrocchiale, s. n.
Parchment · I + 62 + II ff. · 33.7 x 24 cm · Quinto · 1547
"Martirologio-calendario" (obituary) of the Parish of SS. Pietro e Paolo of Quinto

Obituary of the Parish of SS. Pietro e Paolo of Quinto (Ticino), written by the priest Ambrogio Rossi of Chironico, who copied an older obituary that was probably damaged or had no more space. The Ambrosian type calendar lists the stipends for annual masses or for anniversaries, the solemnities, the indulgences and notes regarding the pledges to the parish and to the entire valley. On December 28, the Feast of the Holy Innocents, the commemoration of the Battle of Giornico (Battaglia dei Sassi Grossi, 1479) is recorded. (ber)

Online Since: 06/23/2016

Preview Page
Romont, Abbaye de la Fille-Dieu Romont, Ms. liturg. FiD 1
Parchment · I + 9 + I ff. · 30 x 20.5 cm · end of the 12th century (after 1174). The flyleaves are from 1136/1140
Office of the Holy Trinity and of Saint Bernard

The first liturgical library of the nuns of Fille-Dieu, which today is dispersed across all of Europe, has great significance for the history of the Cistercian Order. The booklet FiD 1 (French musical notation) contains the oldest offices of St. Bernard and of the Trinity, which were introduced into the order in 1175 or shortly thereafter. The flyleaves are remarkable as well. Together with FiD 2, they represent relics of antiphonaries that were copied around 1136/1140 and contain the original Cistercian liturgy, which was copied shortly after 1108 in Metz by monks sent by Abbot Stephen Harding. This liturgy was corrected within the framework of the reforms of Bernard of Clairvaux. The existence of Bernardine drafts had until now been known through antiphonary 12A-B from Westmalle Abbey (Belgium) and through the one from Tamié Abbey 6 (Savoy). Codicological analysis of the flyleaves of FiD 1 and of the fragments of FiD 2 reveals that all pieces come from the Swiss Abbey of Fille-Dieu; they share identical status and common characteristics, irrespective of current holding sites. The same hands and correcting hands can be recognized, the same types of ornamentation and the same later touch-ups, which were done at the earliest in the 16th century, probably by the nuns or by the monks of Hautcrêt Abbey (Oron, VD), which was the mother house of Fille-Dieu until 1536. (sca)

Online Since: 03/22/2018

Preview Page
Romont, Abbaye de la Fille-Dieu Romont, Ms. liturg. FiD 2
Parchment · 4 pp. · 36 x 24.5 cm · around 1136/1140
Early Cistercian antiphonary fragments

These antiphonary fragments, which were copied around 1136/1140 and were scraped and corrected around 1140/1143, constitute a blank cover. Doubtlessly the parchment pieces of various sizes were glued together by the nuns of Fille-Dieu in order to cover a now lost liturgical formulary. Together, FiD 1 and FiD 2 constitute relics of antiphonaries that contained the primitive Cistercian liturgy. This was defined by Fr. Kovacs (“Fragments du chant cistercien primitif“, ASOC 6 [1950], pp. 140–150) and Chr. Waddell (The Primitive Cistercian Breviary, Fribourg, 2007 [Spicilegium Friburgense 44]) as the liturgy reformed by Stephen Harding shortly after 1108. During this reform, the abbot of Cîteaux forced the order to adopt the antiphonary of Metz, which was in use by the order until the time of the second reform under Bernard of Clairvaux. This second reform was completed in the early 1140s. The existence of Bernardine drafts had until now been known through antiphonary 12A-B from Westmalle Abbey (Belgium) and through the one from Tamié Abbey 6 (Savoy). Codicological analysis of the flyleaves of FiD 1 and of the fragments of FiD 2 reveals that all pieces come from the Swiss Abbey of Fille-Dieu; they share identical status and common characteristics, irrespective of current holding sites. The same hands and correcting hands can be recognized, the same types of ornamentation and the same later touch-ups, which were done at the earliest in the 16th century, probably by the nuns or by the monks of Hautcrêt Abbey (Oron, VD), which was the mother house of Fille-Dieu until 1536. (sca)

Online Since: 03/22/2018

Preview Page
Romont, Abbaye de la Fille-Dieu Romont, Ms. liturg. FiD 5
Parchment · I + 127 ff. · 34 x 24 cm · between 1246 and 1255
Cistercian Gradual

This complete Gradual (square notation) contains the temporal (f. 1r-70v), the sanctoral and the Commune Sanctorum (f. 70v103v), votive masses (f. 103v-107v), the Kyriale and litanies (f. 107v111v), antiphons and processional responsories (f. 112r113v), the tropes of the Kyrie Cunctipotens and Fons bonitatis (f. 113v115r) and several additions from the 14th century (f. 115r-127v). According to the analysis of the calendar, this copy could date back to the middle of the 13th century, between 1246 (mention of Saint Lambert by the first hand, f. 100r) and 1255 (no mention of the mass for Saint Dominic on August 5th, f. 95r). Contrary to what is suggested by the labels (back and inside cover), this codex was copied before the end of the 1260s, since the mass of Saint Anthony (f. 75v) was noted by a second hand. In addition, f. 98v contains no mention of an octave of St. Bernard, which is usually included in all Cistercian books from 1295 on. A study of the musical and liturgical content shows that manuscript FiD 5, which is a faithful copy of the older Gradual of the order (Abbazia Tre Fontane 47, around 1140/1143), probably originated in Hautcrêt Abbey (Oron VD), which was the motherhouse of Fille-Dieu until 1536. (sca)

Online Since: 03/22/2018

Preview Page
Romont, Abbaye de la Fille-Dieu Romont, Ms. liturg. FiD 7
Parchment · 48 ff. · 26 x 18.5 cm · 14th century
Cistercian Collectarium-Ritual

Manuscript FiD 7 (square notation; rubrics in Latin and Old French) begins with the chapters (short readings) and the collects of the sanctorale (folio 1r begins abruptly in the middle of the chapter of the Terce for the birth of John the Baptist). It then contains various rites, among them the Office of the Dead (with musical notation on folios 40r-46v), as well as the one for religious profession and for the investiture of nuns (f. 24v-26r). The vow Ego soror ill. promitto (f. 24v) could indicate that it was meant for Fille-Dieu. However, elsewhere the book contains rubrics and prayers that are written in masculine form by the original hand, and which are adapted to the feminine form through interlinear annotations by a hand contemporaneous with the book (f. 20r, 27v, 30v-39v). Therefore, FiD 7 probably originated in a scriptorium of monks, presumably from the Cistercians of Hautcrêt (Oron, VD) or of Hauterive (FR). (sca)

Online Since: 03/22/2018

Preview Page
Saint-Imier, Mémoires d'Ici, FER 1
Paper · IV + 330 + IV pp. · 33.5 x 21 cm · Diesse (Bern) · 17th century
Collection of witch trials and confessions

An extraordinary testimony of the great witch hunt that took place in 17th century Europe, this volume contains a collection of 67 witch trials that were conducted and judged on the Montagne de Diesse in the Bernese Jura between 1611 and 1667. The confessions of 56 women and 11 men, set down in definitive form by the clerks of the court, were read back to the accused at sentencing so that the accused would confess them publicly. (mai)

Online Since: 12/17/2015

Preview Page
Saint-Imier, Mémoires d'Ici, FER 2
Paper · V + 730 pp. · 36 x 22 cm · Tavannes (Bern) · 18th century
Documents compiled by Pastor Rémy Frêne of Tavannes

This volume contains copies of various documents, which were meticulously collected by the pastor of Tavannes, Théophile Rémy Frêne (1727-1804), over a period of several decades, but especially in the last third of the 18th century. It thus gathers memories, correspondence, numerous documents and even lists which reveal the pastor’s diverse scholarly activities, especially in the areas of history, geography and politics. The collection allows us to grasp his most personal interests. These writings, organized in thematic series, focus mainly on the Principality of Basel and the region of Neuchâtel. The volume thus would attest an extensive project describing the Principality of Basel, which in the end Frêne did not publish - some of the information the pastor gathered have been included by Charles-Ferdinand Morel in his Abrégé de l’histoire et de la statistique du ci-devant Evêché de Bâle (Strasbourg, 1813). It also reflects the fundamental role that pastors held in the second half of the 18th century as promoters of regional knowledge. (bal)

Online Since: 12/14/2018

Preview Page
Samedan, Chesa Planta Samedan, Ab 31
Paper · 44 pp. · 15 x 10 cm · 1639
[La chianzun da la guerra dalg Chiaste da Müs] (The song of the Musso War)

This is the oldest surviving copy of Gian Travers’ epic verse report about the events of the Musso War of 1525/1526, written in 1527. This report is the oldest known Romansh (bünderromanische) text. Johan Schucan from Zuoz signed as scribe; at the time of this copy, he was Protestant pastor in Zernez. (dar)

Online Since: 12/14/2017

Preview Page
Samedan, Chesa Planta Samedan, Ab 47
Paper · III + 16 ff. · 15 x 10 cm · 1567
[La histoargia da Joseph] (The story of Joseph)

This is the oldest copy of Gian Travers’ drama “Joseph”, performed in Zuoz in 1534. The manuscript was produced three years after the death of Travers and makes use of spellings that were no longer in use at the time the copy was made. The scribe is Conradin Planta, probably a relative: Gian Travers was married to Anna Planta. The manuscript is bound incorrectly: the text begins with ff. 9-13, then there is a leaf missing, f. 14, f. 1, f. 5, f. 3, f. 4, f. 6, f. 2, f. 15, a missing leaf, f. 7, f. 16. Folio 8r, originally the final page, contains a cautionary poem; f. 8v was left blank. The front flyleaves are made of a large parchment sheet, originally from a 12th century parchment manuscript with a text by Constantine the African, De febribus, chap. 3-5. (dar)

Online Since: 12/14/2017

Preview Page
Samedan, Chesa Planta Samedan, Ad 109
Paper · 80 ff. · 15 x 10 cm · 1649
Joseph da Iacobb (Drama about Joseph)

This manuscript contains the text of a Lower Engadine version of a drama about Joseph (ff. 1-74), which is based on the play “Ein hüpsch nüwes Spil von Josephen (…)”, attributed to Jacob Ruf and printed in Zurich in 1540. Converging indicators, such as the statements by Chiampell (Placidus Plattner, Ulrici Campelli Historia raetica, Basel, Schneider, T. 2 1890, 353), as well as the orthography and the language of the transcriptions suggest that this is the only surviving copy of the Joseph-drama by Chiampell himself, which was performed in Susch in 1564. At the end of the manuscript, there is a conversation between a Protestant pastor and a sick person (ff. 75-77), as well as several prayers (ff. 78-80), which were translated from the German by the scribe of the text, Baltasar Valantin. (dar)

Online Since: 12/14/2017

Preview Page
Samedan, Chesa Planta Samedan, Statuten 1619
Paper · 300 ff. · 30 x 21 cm · 1619
Ledschas et stratüts civils dalg cumoen d’Engiadina zura sur Punt Hota (laws and civil statutes of the community of Upper Engadine regarding Punt Ota)

This manuscript first contains the translation of the Latin statutes of the district of Upper Engadine from 1563, with additions until 1618, in the handwriting of Peider Curtin (ff. 1-245a). Supplements from 1624-1654 in another handwriting are incorporated or added later ff. 245b-254a. This is followed by translations from the German of other important legal texts in Peider Curtin’s handwriting: the Charta da la Lia from 1524 (ff. 262-267), the Articles of Chur from 1523, later of Ilanz in 1524 (ff. 268-271), Artichels da cumoenas Trais Lias from 1527 (ff. 272-278), a contract between the League of God's House cun l’s sett chantuns Schwizers from 1498 (ff. 279-282), and the 1518 “Erbeinigungsvertrag” (testamentary agreement) concerning the Engadin between Emperor Maximilian and the Bishop of Chur (ff. 283-289). Next comes an index of the statutes (ff. 291-295) in Curtin’s hand and an index to the supplements (f. 296) in another hand. The scribe is Peider Curtin; according to a statement on the title page, however, the statutes are the work of the well-known Protestant pastor and notary Lüci Papa. (dar)

Online Since: 12/14/2017

Preview Page
Schaffhausen, Konzernarchiv Georg Fischer AG, GFA 1/144.32
Paper · [4] + 218 pp. · 18 x 10.5 cm · 1743-1820
Memory album Christoph Fischer - Gedenk und Stamm-Buch, worinnen gute Freunde und Gönner mich, Christoph Fischer, von Schaffhausen, mit ihren beliebigen inscriptionen, sinnreichen Anbildungen, curiosen Gemählden und andern denkwürdigen Sprüchen be-ehren wollen. Angefangen den 18ten Iulij 1743.

This leather-bound album contains about 35 dedications and drawings by people with whom the coppersmith and wine merchant Christoph Fischer (1691-1770) from Schaffhausen was in touch during his lifetime. Based on the entries in Latin, German, French and English, it is possible to reconstruct two trips that Fisher took to London, during which most of the dedications occurred: 1747-1750 via Geneva, Lyon, Paris to London and 1758 via Strasbourg, Frankfurt, Amsterdam to London. Several entries are by members of the Schalch family of Schaffhausen, who were relatives of Fischer; among these is an undated watercolor by the artist Johann Jakob Schalch (1723-1789) (p. 122), who lived in London and Den Haag from 1754-1773. After Fischer’s death, the album was continued: entries from 1773 (p. 65) and 1820 (p. 215). Several pages of parchment (pp. 1-2, 19-20, 47-48, 115-116, 181-182) are bound into the paper manuscript, and several pages of paper were added later (pp. 39a-b, 55a-b, 147a-b) or were covered with pasted-on illustrations (p. 43, p. 125, p. 127). The entries are not in chronological order and alternate with numerous blank pages. (egg)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Schaffhausen, Konzernarchiv Georg Fischer AG, GFA 1/144.35
Paper · [2] + 178 pp. · 19.5 x 12 cm · 1791-1841
Memory album Johann Conrad Fischer

This leather-bound paper manuscript with gold embossing (digits of the year 1791 in each of the four corners of the book) is the memory album of Johann Conrad Fischer (1773-1854), coppersmith, metallurgist, entrepreneur and politician from Schaffhausen. His cast steel factory, founded in 1802, developed into the current Georg Fischer Ltd. The album contains dedications and illustrations by about 70 people with whom Fischer was in touch during his lifetime, among them his math teacher Melchior Hurter (1735-1811) (p. 1), Professor Johann Georg Müller (1759-1819) (p. 49), the physician Johann Balthasar Zwingli from Zurich (1764-1817) (p. 164), the writer Heinrich Zschokke (1771-1848) (p. 175), Fischer’s great–uncle Lorenz Spengler (1720-1807), head of the Royal Art Chamber in Copenhagen (p. 43), and his son Johann Conrad Spengler (1767-1839) (p. 105). The majority of the entries are in German, French, English and Danish and date from his years of travel as a journeyman coppersmith in 1792-1795, when he traveled via Frankfurt, Chemnitz, Dresden to Copenhagen and on to London. Occasional further entries continue until 1841. The entries are not in chronological order and alternate with pasted-in pages (pp. 3a-b, 48a, 111a-d) and numerous blank pages. The numbering of the pages is from the time of the creation of the album. (egg)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Schlatt, Eisenbibliothek, Mss 8
Paper · 1 + 288 + 1 pp. · 34 x 24 cm · Italy (Tuscany) · about 1577-1591
Libro di ricordanze del Granduca di Toscana riguardante l'amministrazione fatta da Roberto Pandolfini delle Vene di Ferro dell'Isola dell'Elba 1579

This paper manuscript with parchment binding is an exemplar of the category “libri di ricordanze,” which were very popular among Florentine merchants. This “libro di ricordanze” belonged to the Grand Duke of Tuscany; it is probably comprised of the notes (and copies) of a certain Roberto di Pandolfo Pandolfini regarding the management of iron mines on the island of Elba. Included are lists presumably recording the price of iron (ore). — On the island of Elba, abundant deposits of iron ore, characterized by high iron content, were mined and were exported primarily to central Italy. — Following the actual notes, eight smaller-format attachments are pasted in (pp. 52a-d, pp. 54a-d, pp. 56a-b, p. 59, p. 61, pp. 62a-b, p. 65, p. 67), as well as numerous blank pages (pp. 68-288), which make up the main part of the volume. — The manuscript was purchased in Florence in 1957. (ruh)

Online Since: 10/08/2015

Preview Page
Schlatt, Eisenbibliothek, Mss 13
Paper · 1 + 32 ff. · 33 x 24.5 cm · Italy · 1786
Disegni, e spiegazione della Fonderia principio, e termine della Campana di S. Pietro, fusa dal Cavalier Luigi Valadier, e Giuseppe di lui figlio nell'anno 1786 – per ordine di N. S. PP. Pio Sesto […]

In this magnificently illustrated manuscript of unusual content, the Italian architect and town planner Giuseppe Valadier (1762-1839) describes the casting of the Campanone, the largest bell in St. Peter's Basilica, in a text featuring 14 watercolored pen and ink drawings. The Vatican had commissioned the bell from the foundry of his father, Luigi Valadier, who passed away in 1785, before the work on the bell was completed. The son Giuseppe completed the commission and in 1786 prepared a manuscript about this work, pairing each drawing with a written explanation in the form of a legend. First Valadier shows the foundry building (2v-7r); then, in an almost photographic wealth of detail and in vivid colors, he shows the process of producing the bell including the technique of the false bell and the casting in bronze (8v-21r). Finally the finished bell (22v-23r) is transported through the streets of Rome on a wooden sled (24v-25r) and is blessed by Pope Pius VI (26v-27r). – The manuscript was purchased in Bern in 1948. (ruh)

Online Since: 10/08/2015

Documents: 98, displayed: 41 - 60