Aristophanes (445-385 a.C.n.)
Although the Aesopian tradition enjoyed great popularity during the middle ages, thanks to the dissemination of Latin translations, the Greek text of the fabulist was first rediscovered during the Renaissance. CB 5, which was written on paper near the end of the 15th century, is a collection of some 150 fables ascribed to the poet, which served as an inspiration for La Fontaine. Following are, among other things, the Delphic prophecies of Pseudo-Pythagoras, which transmit the well-known aphorism "Know thyself!", and The Clouds, the comedy that made the Athenian writer Aristophanes famous.
Online Since: 11/04/2010
- Aesopus: Aesopus, Fabulae. – Epigrammata et proverbia. – Oracula sibyllina. – Ps. Pythagoras, Carmen aureum. – Praecepta Delphica. – Phocylides, Sententiae. – Aristophanes, Nubes. – Vita Aristophanis. – Hypothesis in Aristophanis Plutum Found in: Standard description
- Aristophanes (Author) Found in: Standard description
- Aesopus (Author) | Aristophanes (Author) | Diogenes, Laertius (Author) | Phocylides, Milesius (Author) | Pythagoras (Author) Found in: Standard description
The text De verborum significatu by the Latin grammarian Pompeius Festus is an extremely valuable dictionary of Latin language and mythology for those seeking to understand the world of the Romans. This manuscript is of Italian origin and retains its contemporary binding with a wooden cover. It was written during the 15th century on parchment and contains lovely gilded initials on a blue and red background. Quotations have been added in the margins to explain certain words in the text. The last leaves in the volume contain excerpts from Greek and Latin authors.
Online Since: 06/02/2010
- Aristophanes: Plutus (f. 114) Found in: Standard description
- Apicius (Author) | Aristophanes (Author) | Asconius Pedianus, Quintus (Author) | Berchem, Denis van (Former possessor) | Bruni, Leonardo (Translator) | Cicero, Marcus Tullius (Author) | Festus, Sextus Pompeius (Author) | Gellius, Aulus (Author) | Lactantius, Lucius Caecilius Firmianus (Author) | Livius, Titus (Author) | Paulus, Diaconus (Author) | Plinius Secundus, Gaius (Author) | Plutarchus (Author) | Schennis, Friedrich von (Former possessor) | Seneca, Lucius Annaeus (Author) | Servius (Author) | Suetonius Tranquillus, Gaius (Author) | Varro, Marcus Terentius (Author) | Vergilius Maro, Publius (Author) Found in: Standard description