|Country of Location:||
Country of LocationSwitzerland
|Library / Collection:||
Library / CollectionStiftsbibliothek
ShelfmarkCod. Sang. 1253
Manuscript TitleCopies of certificates of admission from the episcopal chancery in Konstanz for the pastoral care of St. Gall conventuals– Report about the laying of the foundation stone for the Renaissance library of St. Gall Abbey in 1551 – Creation of an altar cross for St. Gall Abbey by the goldsmith Thomas Gennius 1553
CaptionPaper · 194 pp. · 21.5 x 16 cm · St. Gall Abbey · 1551−1571
Manuscript SummaryThis manuscript, initiated in 1551 under Prince-Abbot Diethelm Blarer (1530−1564; colored abbot’s coat of arms on p. 2) and continued (in the first part) until 1571, consists of three parts. The beginning (pp. 5-50) consists of copies of certificates of admission for pastoral care of St. Gall conventuals in the territory of the Diocese of Konstanz, issued by the episcopal chancery in Konstanz between 1551 and 1571. The second part (pp. 131-134) gives a description of the laying of the foundation stone for the Renaissance library of St. Gall Abbey on Juli 6, 1551; it also lists the names of all persons present for this festive ceremony. The Renaissance library was completed in 1553 and was replaced with the late Baroque library between 1758 and 1767. The third part (pp. 181-183) treats the creation of a large silver altar cross by the goldsmith Thomas Gennius from Wil; St. Gall Abbot Diethelm Blarer commissioned it in 1553 and had the sculptor (sculptor?) Heinrich Reissi, who was from Rapperswil but was active in Wil, carry it to St. Gall on his back in six hours. Also mentioned are the saints relics kept in this cross. All traces of the cross are lost during the liquidation of the assets of St. Gall Abbey after the dissolution of the monastery in 1805. Between the three parts and at the end, there are numerous empty pages (pp. 51−130; pp. 135−178; pp. 184−194). (smu)
Standard descriptionScherrer Gustav, Verzeichniss der Handschriften der Stiftsbibliothek von St. Gallen, Halle 1875, S. 435.
Show standard description
|DOI (Digital Object Identifier):||
DOI (Digital Object Identifier10.5076/e-codices-csg-1253 (http://dx.doi.org/10.5076/e-codices-csg-1253)
|IIIF Manifest URL:||
IIIF Manifest URLhttp://e-codices.unifr.ch/metadata/iiif/csg-1253/manifest.json
|How to quote:||
How to quoteSt. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1253: Copies of certificates of admission from the episcopal chancery in Konstanz for the pastoral care of St. Gall conventuals– Report about the laying of the foundation stone for the Renaissance library of St. Gall Abbey in 1551 – Creation of an altar cross for St. Gall Abbey by the goldsmith Thomas Gennius 1553 (http://e-codices.unifr.ch/en/list/one/csg/1253).
Additional literatureAdditional literature – St. Galler Bibliotheksnetz (SGBN) - Verbundkatalog
Annotation Tool - Log in
There aren't any annotations for this manuscript. Be the first to create one!